Lagunilla is one of the oldest and finest names in Rioja, known for its consistent quality and range of wines. Lagunilla Optimus is made with experimental varietals, authorised by the Rioja DO institute. In addition to the anchoring Tempranillo, here you have the spicy Syrah, soft supple Merlot and structured Cabernet Sauvignon which makes for a well-rounded Rioja.
Intense nose of black cherries, cassis, vanilla, leather, tobacco, and damp earth.
It's structured, elegant, intense and pleasant wine. A red Rioja with lots of potential, heightened by its aromatic intensity.
Back in the day, Felipe Lagunilla was the man who worked hardest to rescue Rioja’s vineyards from the Phylloxera crisis. Made Comendador by the King, he is renowned for leading the Spanish charge to replant vines grafted with American rootstock which were already resistant to Phylloxera.
Founded in 1885, and one of the most traditional bodegas in Rioja Alta, it is the home to some of the best Reservas and Crianza this wine region has ever produced.
The grapes have been carefully selected and picked by hand, aged to optimal maturation. Then it is transferred to new French Allier and American barriques, where it is aged for 18 months.
- Gold Munus Vini 2018
- Gold Berline Wein Trophy 2018
Did you know?
Rioja can appear in four styles.
- Joven: Wines in their first or second year which keep their fresh fruitiness.
- Crianza which are at least in their third year, having spent a minimum of one year in casks.
- Reserva: Selected wines of the best vintages that have been aged for a minimum of three years, with at least one in casks.
- Finally, Gran Reserva which have spent at least two years in oak casks and three in the bottle.
85% Tempranillo, 5% Syrah, 5% Merlot, 5% Cabernet Sauvignon
14% alc vol
|Units of alcohol per bottle||10.5 units|
|Cellaring Potential||10-12 years|
|Allergen Information||Contains sulphites|
|Dietary Information||Vegan & vegetarian approved|
|Food Matches||Ideal to enjoy with beef, lamb, veal and poultry. Serve at about 17°C.|