2016 Ventisquero Queulat Gran Reserva Cinsualt

Regular price £11.75 Save £-11.75
23 in stock
2016 Ventisquero Queulat Gran Reserva Cinsualt

Head Winemaker Felipe Tosso joined Vina Ventisquero in 2000. After seriously considering alternate careers as a tennis pro and classical guitarist, he elected to enter the wine business, describing it as “one of my big passions because it’s more than work – it’s a lifestyle.”

Tasting Notes

Ruby red with violet hues at the rim. Fresh and fruity with intense notes of wild berries and soft notes of spices and country herbs. Smooth and elegant in the mouth, with silky tannins and refreshing acidity.

Vinification

The grapes were carefully selected by hand. Then they were gently crushed in stainless steel tanks and subjected to a cold soak at between 6°C and 8°C. The next stage was fermentation, at temperatures of between 22°C and 26°C, with two to three pump-overs every day. This meant the wine had a smooth-tannin texture. 30% of the wine was aged for 10 months in fourth-use, 300-litre barrels to contribute complexity to the variety, while the remaining 70% was aged in stainless steel to preserve the fruit.

Tosso’s winemaking travels have taken him to Napa, Sonoma, Argentina, France, Spain, Italy, Australia, back to Concha Y Toro in Chile and then finally to Vina Ventisquero. In 2003, Felipe began a close collaboration with John Duval (ex-Penfolds Winemaker) in the production of icon wines Pangea and Vertice, a partnership that continues to this day.

Alan's Notes

"This is a real WOW!! Incredibly well made. Lots of juicy berry fruits, hints of fresh herbs and some spice, silky tannins and fresh acidity make this one of the best balanced reds I’ve tasted in a long time. A real masterpiece at a steal of a price. Stay away from the big branded names and try undiscovered gems such as this!"

Specifications

Year 2016
Bottle Size 750ml
Cultivar 100% Cinsault
Country Chile
Alcohol content
13% alc vol 
Units of Alcohol per Bottle 9.8 units
Type Red Wine
Allergen Information Contains sulphites
Cellaring Potential Drinking perfectly now
Food Matches

The wine pairs well with white meat, rabbit, creamy cheese, and cold appetizers.

Appellation
Itata Valley