Poggo Morino

2019 Morellino di Scansano

Regular price £8.99 Save £-8.99
-7 in stock
2019 Morellino di Scansano
2019 Morellino di Scansano
2019 Morellino di Scansano
2019 Morellino di Scansano

Tasting Notes

The Morellino di Scansano "Poggio Morino" is made from Sangiovese and Syrah, with a ruby-red color that tends to be garnet-red, with a fresh nose paired with ripe fruit notes, violets and red berries. The palate is enveloped by its aromatic, full-bodied and well-balanced taste.

 

History

Morellino di Scansano DOCG is an Italian red wine made in the hilly regions near the village of Scansano, in the Maremma area of coastal Tuscany, which has an ancient but obscure tradition of winemaking. Morellino is the local name for the Sangiovese grape variety. Many people think that the name Morellino comes from Morello (brown), the colour of the region’s horses. The name may also come from the morello cherry, a dark red cherry with great tartness and acidity.
It must be at least 85% Sangiovese, which is also the basis of the Tuscan wines Chianti, Brunello di Montalcino, and Vino Nobile di Montepulciano. The remaining 15% can comprise any non-aromatic black grape varieties included in a list made and periodically updated by Tuscan wine authorities.

Vinification

Made from Sangiovese and Syrah, the bouquet is fresh, with notes of violet and ripe red fruits, while its flavour is full, fruity and well balanced. The grapes are harvested on reaching full ripeness and are de-stalked on the harvesting wagons before being delivered to stainless steel tanks, where fermentation begins. Maceration lasts for around 15 days before the wine is separated from the skins. 4 months ageing in oak barrels and a further 3 to 4 months ageing in bottles.

Specifications

Year 2019
Bottle Size 750ml
Cultivar Syrah & Sangiovese
Country Italy
Alcohol content  13.5%
Units of Alcohol per Bottle
10.1 units
Type Red Blend
Food Matches Pasta dishes with game sauce, tasty red meat and aged cheeses.
Cellaring Potential 2 years
Allergen Information Contains sulphites
Origin Tuscany DOCG