2021 Painted Wolf The Den Pinotage

Regular price £11.99 Save Liquid error (snippets/product-template line 117): Computation results in '-Infinity'%
4 in stock
2021 Painted Wolf The Den Pinotage

The den is at the heart of the pack, a place where painted wolves relax and bond. A perfect wine to enjoy with friends, family, and good food.

Tasting Notes


An intense fruit-packed wine with a smorgasbord of boysenberry and mulberry, milk chocolate, savoury spice and toasty wood flavours. The wine has fine bright tannins and a long fresh finish. 

 2021 Painted Wolf The Den Pinotage


The bulk of the Pinotage was destalked and fermented in tanks with various staves. Malolactic and maturation was completed on staves. Approximately 25% of the wine was fermented in small open fermenters and matured in small French and American oak barrels. The wine was finished by blending 15% of a Shiraz, Grenache, and Mourvedre blend.  


In 2005, Emma and Jeremy Borg's vinous adventure began when they were approached to make their own wine. Despite Jeremy's two decades of experience in the world of winemaking and Emma's expertise with wine photography, the couple was thrown into the deep end and had to bottle and cork the bounty of their friend's surplus grapes by hand.

The endeavor sparked their dreams of creating their own brand and so Painted Wolf was born. The inspiration came from the endangered African wild dog - highly social, organised, persistent and efficient hunters true to Emma and Jeremy's own vineyard hunts for their expanding range of wines.

Consequently, a percentage of profits from each bottle is donated to support charities dedicated to the conservation of the species, and the painted wolf proudly graces each of their labels. From organic Swartland vineyards to Cape South Coast cool climate sites, the couple has since established a network of esteemed growers and winemakers to ensure quality as grapes are hand-selected and some wines are

Painted Wolf Wines supports the conservation of the highly endangered painted wolf (African wild dog) and the protection of the diminishing wild spaces of Africa, through its donations to the EWT – www.ewt.org.za and Tusk – www.tusk.org.  


Year 2021
Bottle Size 750ml
Cultivar 85% Pinotage, remaining 15%  Shiraz, Grenache, and Mourvedre blend
Country South Africa
Alcohol content
13.5% alc vol 
Units of alcohol per bottle 10.1 units
Type Red Wine
Allergen Information Contains Sulphites
Food Matches

Pinotage is the best possible red wine in the world to pair with Mexican dishes such as Fajitas or that glorious confection of chicken, chocolate, cumin seeds, smoky ancho chilli, pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds which is called Mole. It is also very good with other flavoursome American regional specialities such as with Carolina Pulled Pork and smoky Texas B.B.Q beef rib. 

Appellation W.O. Swartland